The following was submitted to me by Tyler Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org):
Image via Pexels
There are a multitude of pets out there that are in exceptionally distressing and disturbing situations. Because these innocent creatures are unable to extricate themselves from their unfortunate situations, we should all endeavor to do more to help out in this area. Joining a local or national animal welfare organization could be the start of your journey to help make a difference in the lives of those animals that require just the basics – food, shelter, and love so that they are fit to be rehomed later on.
Start a non-profit company
If you are in the position to start a non-profit company to help animals on a larger scale, then you need to follow a set of standard regulations to do so.
- Decide on a structure for your company. A nonprofit corporation may be the way to go if you have decided to focus on a specific philanthropic niche.
- Decide on a name for your corporation. Your business’s name should be completely unique from other nonprofits.
- Decide on a board of directors that will help to govern your corporation. The directors should not be related in order to qualify for tax exemption
Donations are always welcome
If starting a business is not up your alley, the next best thing you could probably do is generate as many donations as possible.
- Enquire around. You might find that local businesses are willing to accommodate a donation spot at their premises for the collection of donations.
- Start a fundraising drive. GoFundMe is an excellent platform to get your message out there quickly and adequately.
- Look for items that are pet essentials. When enlisting the public’s help for donations, be sure to cover the basics such as harnesses, pet crates, muzzles, playpens, etc.
Volunteer in your spare time
If you have lots of spare time on your hands, you can put this resource to good use by volunteering.
- You can volunteer at your local SPCA if you’re looking for a convenient option that is close by.
- If you want to volunteer from home, then there is an option for this, too, through Zooniverse.
- You can also give up your time by educating others, especially the youth, on how to properly take care of the animals within their care.
At the end of the day, positive change can only come about if you’re willing to put in the work to help reduce pet abandonment. If we can combine our efforts individually and collectively, we can drive change together to make a lasting and significant change for these animals that so desperately need it.